The National Statistician has announced the establishment of advisory committees set up to provide advice on consumer price statistics, crime statistics, and the sharing and use of data.
Speaking today, the National Statistician said:
“The Government Statistical Service has a clear mission to deliver high quality statistics, analysis and advice, which keep pace with rapid changes in our economy and society.
“These advisory committees will help me, and my colleagues, to understand the concerns and requirements of a diverse range of individuals, voluntary bodies, private sector organisations, analysts, researchers, and other experts.
“I look forward to working with the newly appointed Chairs of these committees, – Dame Kate Barker, Mr Nick Vaughan, Professor Sir Adrian Smith and Mr Ian Cope – and to receiving the advice of the members that will serve on them. I am expecting that the work of these committees will help us make better informed decisions about future directions for official statistics.”
– ENDS –
For more information, please contact 020 7592 8659 or 020 7592 8645.
Notes for editors:
- The National Statistician’s Advisory Committees will provide advice in three areas: consumer price statistics, crime statistics, and data ethics.
Advisory Panels on Consumer Prices
- The Review of the Governance of Prices Statistics recommended the creation of two advisory panels on consumer prices: a stakeholder panel to advise the National Statistician on the uses and application of prices indices; and, a technical panel to provide advice on technical aspects of the statistics.
- Following an open selection process, Dame Kate Barker has been appointed as the Chair of the new Stakeholder Advisory Panel on Consumer Prices.
- Dame Kate has previously led an independent review of the UK’s National Accounts and Balance of Payments statistics produced by ONS.
- In accordance with the recommendations of the Review of the Governance of Prices Statistics, ONS’s Director of National Accounts and Economic Statistics, Mr Nick Vaughan, has been appointed as Chair of the new Technical Advisory Panel on Consumer Prices.
- Dame Kate and Mr Vaughan are currently working with the National Statistician to establish the membership of both panels. The advisory panels are expected to meet for the first time in the summer.
National Statistician’s Crime Statistics Advisory Committee
- The committee will advise the National Statistician how best to ensure that official statistics on crime for England and Wales are accurate, clearly presented, comprehensive, transparent and trustworthy taking account of the needs of users and providers.
- In March 2015 the National Statistician agreed with the Home Secretary to re-establish the former Crime Statistics Advisory Committee with revised terms of reference that focus the Committee’s accountability to the National Statistician.
- Professor Sir Adrian Smith has been appointed to chair the re-established committee.
- Sir Adrian is Deputy Chair of the UK Statistics Authority and has a wealth of experience in crime statistics, having led an independent review commissioned by the then Home Secretary in 2006.
National Statistician’s Data Ethics Advisory Committee
- The National Statistician’s Data Ethics Advisory Committee is being established to ensure transparency around the access, use and sharing of data. It will provide assurance to the National Statistician, the UK Statistics Authority and the public that their data is used ethically and for the public good.
- The Committee will be chaired by the ONS’s Director of Census, Mr Ian Cope.
- Mr Cope is currently working with the National Statistician to appoint members to the Committee.
- The Committee is expected to meet for the first time in the summer.