Applications have now closed.
We are looking to appoint an independent member to the Regulation Committee of the UK Statistics Authority.
If successful in your application you would play an important role in our organisation which is engaged in significant transformation, responding to the challenges and opportunities of the changing data landscape.
About the Regulation Committee
The purpose of the Regulation Committee is to help shape the regulation strategy and to oversee the programme of assessment of sets of official statistics against the Code of Practice, plus other work related to assessment and regulation, thereby contributing to achievement of the Authority’s strategic objectives.
More specifically the Committee:
- oversees the assessment of whether sets of official statistics are compliant with the Code of Practice for Statistics;
- determines whether sets of official statistics may be designated National Statistics or not, approves assessment reports for publication, and monitors progress by statistical producers in meeting the requirements for designation as National Statistics;
- oversees the regulatory function’s programme of monitoring and reviews, making recommendations to the Authority Board as appropriate;
- maintains oversight of the Code of Practice for Statistics, and makes proposals to the Authority Board in respect of any revisions;
- monitors progress against the Office for Statistics Regulation work programme and business plan, and provides scrutiny of its budget; and
- reviews other work produced by the Director General for Regulation and Office for Statistics Regulation, making recommendations to the Authority Chair on these matters.
The Committee meets five times a year with meetings usually in February, April, July, October and December. Committee meetings usually last three hours and members can expect to spend at least the equivalent time in preparation for each meeting; follow up actions may be required. Committee members may be asked to draw upon their expertise and provide advice and guidance on regulatory matters outside of meetings. The remuneration for this post is £3,000 per annum.
We are seeking a candidate with an enthusiasm for good governance and an interest in statistics, combined with proven expertise and senior level experience in the following fields:
- Experience of operating at Board and/or Committee level in the public or private sector (or both), preferably with knowledge of the operation of arm’s length bodies.
- Ability to analyse complex issues and think independently, strategically and laterally, in order to identify key issues/implications, make balanced judgments and effective decisions, scan the horizon for future issues, and offer constructive challenge
- Able to work well as part of a diverse team and to take collective responsibility for decisions.
Experience of working in independent regulation is desirable, but not essential.
How to Apply
To apply for this post, you must provide:
- a covering letter of no more than two pages of A4 setting out why you are interested in the role and clearly setting out how you meet the criteria above; and
- an up-to-date curriculum vitae.
You should send the above by email to: Secretariat@Statistics.gov.uk
Please note that the closing date for all applications is Wednesday 26 August.
This post is NOT regulated by The Commissioner for Public Appointments.