Where can I access further support?
If you require any further support in addressing ethical issues in your planned project or incorporating ethical principles, please contact the UK Statistics Authority Data Ethics team (Data.Ethics@statistics.gov.uk) or visit our webpages for further information on the support services that we offer.
- Best practice research project accreditation application, including some pointers to researchers on what an independent governance panel look for when assessing the public good of a project.
- Office for Statistics Regulation review of the public good of statistics and report on defining public good in applications to access public data.
- UK Statistics Authority Code of Practice for Statistics.
- Government Statistical Service user engagement strategy for statistics.
- Relevant legislation focused on public good in research and statistics: The Statistics and Registration Service Act 2007 and the Digital Economy Act 2017.
- Guidance on evaluation in government within the HM Treasury Magenta Book and supplementary materials.
- Guidance on evidencing impact of research for the UK Research Excellence Framework: Annex C Definitions of research impact and Annex G Impact case study guidance.
- Examples of research impact case studies submitted as part of the UK Research Excellence Framework exercise 2014.
Feedback on this guidance
This guidance has been published as an open early draft for comment and feedback. It aims to provide a practical resource for the research, statistical and wider analytical community when considering the public good of projects.
We would welcome views and feedback on this guidance from interested parties, including how it can be further improved or how useful it has been for your project. If you would like to share your thoughts with us, or are interested in collaborating, please contact the Centre for Applied Data Ethics team or visit our webpages.
We look forward to hearing from you.Back to top