The GSS International Strategy was published in October 2020 and highlights the two main parts of our mission:
- to lead in the modernisation and harmonisation of international statistics and shape the development of internationally comparable standards to support international and UK policy objectives
- to be at the forefront of the data revolution and use our knowledge and skills to help others respond to global challenges, and the UK to deliver its global priorities
We will achieve this through three main strategic objectives.
- The first is to influence others by developing and maintaining sustainable and effective relationships and partnerships. This will enable us to shape the statistical agenda and deliver shared action on pressing statistical challenges through radical and innovative methods.
- Our second objective is to lead by seeking leadership positions in international statistical forums and multilateral organisations, promoting the UK’s priorities on a global stage.
- Thirdly, we will build and strengthen existing relationships at all levels, including across the Government Statistical Service, making our own and others’ statistical systems stronger and more resilient.
GSS International Committee (GSSIC):
The GSS International Committee is a sub-committee of the National Statistics Executive Group. It is responsible for ensuring that the UK Statistical System is effective in promoting wider UK foreign policy objectives as well as good statistical practice in international statistics forums.
International Liaison Officer (ILO) Network:
The ILO network helps to champion and implement the GSS International Strategy across the GSS. Communicating and coordinating international activity through the ILO network means that synergies between GSS departments can be identified at an early stage.